Monday, April 11, 2011

Dr. ants, and peace lily

Hello,

I made it to the Dr. this morning with a little better health than I had yesterday. I called my condition a sinus infection and he did not contradict but offered me drugs in the form of antibiotics. I respectfully declined since I believe that my body has not had enough time to heal itself. This afternoon I feel even better so it should all be ok. I will be driving to MN tomorrow. I feel fortunate to have filled the gas tank one more time at the lower price that was still at one station.

I moved a plant this afternoon only to find a moving mass of what? It turned out to be about 7,000 tiny ants that were busy scurrying to hide their massive pile of eggs from my eyes. This was on a bookcase. Leroy was home so we emptied the bookcase and carted it outdoors. In the meantime I dashed around looking for my homemade ant killer that is a combination of sugar and borax. “I knew where it was in Chariton,” I wailed as I looked in yet another possible storage place.

Eventually I did find it, wet a paper and put on the mixture where the few remaining ants might find it in the house. When I looked outside on the steps I noticed a whole tribe migration. Fearing that they might come back in the house I also offered some of my sweet poison on the steps.

I had gotten a distressed peace lily from Brian and Jen at Thanksgiving. It is now sending up new leaves. I had come close to saying that it must not be going to renew and thrive. It did not die, but it just stayed the same for all those months.

I do not have a total green thumb. I had gotten a small start of a plant, put it in water, put it in soil, and repotted it today only to learn there are no roots. I will leave it in the pot for a while, but I wonder if it will grow. Again it has not died, but…

Paula

No comments: