Saturday, December 11, 2010

Those Christmas Letters

Hello,

Full of energy and focused on the outcome I composed a letter that Leroy declared fine. But then Leroy is quite easy to please as long as he does not have to do this himself. Next step was getting out the box of envelopes, list, and addresses. I was working away when I realized that the seal on the envelop had done its job too soon and very well. Modern glues are great stickers. Too much storage time in high heat and humidity last summer is surely the reason.

But what to do now? Carefully open the seam? Throw them away? Go buy more?

I ended keeping them for the following reasons: I wanted to work on them today. The store is about three or four miles away and it is raining, sleeting, or snowing. After reading Garbage Land, I know our trash does not need more things and they will end up there anyway but then it would be double the number if I got more. I am just plain cheap. My parents were strong on the “don’t throw away” message. They could have been at the forefront with their recycling ideals, making do, and not wasting. They were at the forefront, but no one knew.

Some of envelopes I carefully pried open. Some Leroy got open with a letter opener. Some Leroy steamed open. (Steaming letters open is not for the faint hearted or else it is over rated.) All of them need re-gluing or sticking in some manner. All of them will look old and tired by the time they reach the recipient. If pride is a part of all this letter sending I have lost all of my pride and then some.

Leroy is still a bit weak and coughing. He did take a shortened walk this morning and he went to church. So he did not laze around the entire day. Oh yes and he opened at least 15 envelopes. That may not sound like much, but I know the full value of tedious work.

We are going to a play tonight. If we did not have season tickets we would probably stay home. Leroy is going armed with cough drops.

Paula

No comments: