Friday, December 17, 2010

Leroy's Day Off

Hello,

Leroy called and got an eye exam scheduled this morning. That shaped our day. The first stop was the library even though it is not in the neighborhood, but we could make a large circle and say it was on the way.

Then it was on to another store. I “raced” in looked at about two things and went back out without buying anything.

Leroy had his exam in the Wal-Mart building. I have to say that I was pleased to find a gift for Leroy that I am sure he will like. When I told him he could not look in the bag, he said, “Oh no now the pressure is on I must find something for you.”

“I do not even know what to suggest as I have everything I need or want,” I told him. One day I had thought of something, but no longer remember what it was.

I shopped or wandered in the store until I could not handle it any more at which point I went and sat with Leroy as he was picking out some frames and lens types. If we could get the basic type of glasses it would be cheaper, but as it is we are grateful to see. The cost per day of daily wear is not so bad when you figure out what 3.5 years of wear equals.

I am also spending a lot of money in the near future as after consultation with my former dentist, I will have my crown replaced. As some of you might know those things are not cheap, but for my oral health it is a good thing. Our insurance will pay 50% after a $100 deductable.

Our second to the last stop was Hy-Vee grocery store. The manager of one of the stores here sent us a letter saying that we could get 10% off of one visit because we are new in town. The two stores in town had given us three free items. So it was stock up time and splurge time. Leroy found some Beer Kaese Cheese. This cheese is, depending on your point of view, a step up from limburger. It is a soft pungent cheese. The sign said it was imported from Germany. The block had the German flag on it but also the word Wisconsin with no address given. I say it was a splurge because this cheese cost $19.99 per pound making it a bit pricy. The 10% off helped a little. We cut some home made bread sliced cheese on top and put it in the microwave for 13 seconds. It was wonderful. We used to get a cheese called smear(not sure how that was spelled) brick. When our children were home they used to command, “Don’t open the refrigerator when my friends are in the house.” The smell would waft out the door always.

Our last stop was at the airport. We had purchased a gift to take to DC and I was not sure that it would go through the security. I was driving so Leroy graciously agreed to run in and ask even though he thought it would not be a problem. He found that it should be fine in the package or even unwrapped. We are going to try not to check in a bag. We will not be there so many days so it should be possible. I believe in washing clothes.

Paula

No comments: