Monday, December 13, 2010

Sunday

Hello,

Yesterday seemed close to a typical winter Sunday. As the forecast was grim and snow had fallen with more in the air, wind brisk, temperatures low and predicted lower, it would seem that not many people would be in church. Leroy was mentally preparing for 30 or less. Would you believe there were more? Not a crowd, but impressive for the conditions.

The choir sang and there were four women and three men so that was a nice number.

I had written a check, put it in the offering envelope, and put that envelope in my pocket so I would have it handy. After I put on the pocket-less choir robe, I realized that I must have the offering out of my skirt pocket unless I planned to drag my robe up around my waist. The choir sits in the front of the congregation so that did not seem like a dignified thing to do. Oops there was no envelope in my pocket. I looked in the bathroom hoping I had not flushed it down the toilet, retraced my steps from the sanctuary to the choir room, patted my pockets so see if I missed it, and wondered how many days to wait before writing a new check. Just before the offering I commented to my seatmates that I had lost my contribution. When the offering plate came first to the woman next to me I noticed there was an envelope already there. It was mine! Later I told Leroy my tale and he said, “Oh I found that on the floor and put it in the plate without looking at it.”

In the evening Leroy was not feeling so good in his throat consequently I sang the liturgy. I enjoyed that. It is simple so it does not threaten me and the attendance is small also not threatening to me. I thought it went well. There were many more people attending than we had expected for this late service too. That always helps pastors feel better. Attendance can become the new god.

Paula

No comments: