Monday, December 22, 2008

Really Going Home

Hello,

Early Wednesday morning Leroy and I again started on our homeward journey. It was not bad going through the cities, a little slow as roads were just slushy. It seemed frosty on the road when we finally got to the country. I saw a sign proclaiming Fairbault 24 miles. We were going almost 50 MPH so I thought it would not be long before we got there. Then I noticed that the car in front of me was slowing quite a bit. I checked out the situation and noticed that the road seemed to be covered with ice. In the dark it was hard to tell. After that we went 40 MPH until we passed a car in the ditch with its lights pointing up at us. Then everyone slowed down to 30 MPH. We proceeded at that speed until confidence came back and we would go almost 40 MPH again. Then another car would be in the ditch with its lights on so we would all slow down again. About 10 miles south of Fairbault the road was better so we could again go 50 MPH. It was in Iowa that we went the regular speed with periods of slippery areas. We saw more cars in the ditch from the day before. They might have had yellow tape on them or there was snow on them. We were just grateful that we had turned around and waited a day for an uneventful trip.

We now have about an inch of ice on the ground with perhaps two inches of snow on top of that. We have had negative temperatures with significant wind to make going out a serious excursion. Leroy and I did walk downtown this afternoon. It was not so windy, but we thought it felt cold.

Leroy had a strange spot taken off of the back of his right hand on Thursday. It was a little more of a deal than we thought it would be. He has five stitches holding the skin together. I changed the bandage Friday.

Leroy said, "Would you hurry up with this. I do not feel good."

"Just don’t look at it any more," I suggested.

"I have to sit down," he said as he sank down on the stool.

"I’m trying to hurry," I assured him.

The next thing I knew Leroy was lying on the floor. He had eased himself down there rather than fainting, but it was close.

I admit that it was not a pretty sight, but it did not bother me much. The strange, but good thing is that he has had almost no pain with this wound.

The tissue was sent to the lab for testing, but we do not know the result of that yet.

Paula

No comments: