Wednesday, December 24, 2008

More Generosity

Hello,

The pastor, of the Russian/Ukrainian congregation that meets in our church building, just brought us a pan of cabbage rolls, a big dessert, and some of their special sausage. The cabbage rolls could feed a family of four at least. I did have some things to give them. I had just made granola and we had been given some cookies and candy so I passed on some of that. Leroy said, "We must have them over."

I agree, but I mostly don’t think about it. I must put on the mantel of hospitality that I seem to have dropped since we have moved around more.

Yesterday I did call one of the couples in the congregation who I thought would not have family here and invite them to our house for Christmas dinner. After some negotiating we settled on afternoon coffee/tea and some dessert. I was going to make a cherry pie, but I will put that off for another time since we have much too much food in the house that is ready to eat.

We have been getting snow but it stopped after not a great deal had fallen. The sun is out now so we are trying to get some of the ice off the drive. I am so pleased to see the sun because it lifts my spirits. It is very difficult to eject this ice even with the rock salt and sun. I do not like to use that salt stuff as I am not sure it is good for the environment. I think maybe we should just put on some sand and hope that adds enough traction.

For Christmas Eve, I will be singing at the smaller of the two congregations. I will also go to the service at the bigger one. It is a special day so I will go twice in one day and hear the same sermon, something I usually avoid.

Paula

No comments: