Thursday, October 16, 2008

Tutoring







Hello,


I had a great hour this morning. I hope that Tatyana did also. She brought a book with her so that gave us a place to start. The book was published in Britain with their pronunciation of words, but we will figure that out. In spite of having lived in the US for a number of years her English is quite limited. As with all people I would say that she understands a lot more than she can say. I have a children’s book by Nancy Carlson with just a sentence or two on each page and a picture that illustrates the thought. I read that to her and we discussed anything she did not understand.


I feel that I can help her. I am sorry that I did not ask a long time ago. I was a bit afraid of insulting her. But I also understand that frustration of not being able to speak easily with the natives. Tatyana is also a bit shy. It makes a difference too that there are so many people from Ukraine living in town so she can speak Russian with them.


I was going to put up some pictures yesterday so you could see what it was like when I hung up the plant in the kitchen. However, the camera battery needed to be charged just as I started. Today I got the pictures uploaded first to the computer and then to the web. My neck hurts. It all goes fairly fast, but I want it to go even faster. I want a secretary to do it for me.


Paula

No comments: