Monday, September 8, 2008

Rainy Day

Rainy Day
September 8, 2008
Hello,

This morning I heard chatter and a bit of squealing outside. I looked out to see two girls walking to school under the same umbrella. The rain came harder as I watched them struggle to keep dry. The older one finally put her arm around the younger and they seemed much happier as that brought them close together. The older elementary school age girl had on flip-flops and crop pants. I suspect she is not so warm in the 54-degree weather.
Leroy went to men’s breakfast this morning. I did not know that he had ridden the bike. At the time of leaving it was not raining, so I kept expecting that he would call and ask me to come get him in the car. Instead he rode the bike home.
"The bike was already wet so I thought I might as well just ride home," he said as he took off his wet raincoat. "The gel seat was soaked through so I took it off before I got on. I found out that the brakes on this bike work fairly well in the rain."
He had to take off his sweatshirt as well as he wet jeans, socks and shoes. He has been complaining that he thinks his rain jacket is too old I guess I would have to agree seeing how much water came in through the seams. That is next on our list to buy.
I made cornbread and bean soup for lunch along with a salad. We had peach applesauce for the cornbread. I think this must be my comfort food even though my mother would not have made it. It was great to have the oven on and smell the soup cooking. Leroy declared, "This is a feast. So perfect for a rainy day."
Paula

No comments: