Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Kites

Kites
September 10, 2008
Hello,
I hung out clothes today. There was a nice brisk wind. I got the idea to fly kites from watching the sheets billow out like sails.
We have a great open lot next to us where I skied in the winter. I found two kites, brought them up, and put them by the door.
When Leroy came home at noon, I said excitedly, "Let’s go fly kites."
Leroy agreed and out we went. I soon had my kite in the air, but Leroy was not so fortunate. "This kite has melted together in some places," he moaned. He was persistent and he got it up for a short while.
Our neighbor came out and joined us watching my kite soar before it crashed to the ground. I think everyone ought to fly a kite once in a while.
"Leroy I will go downtown and buy new kites. One of the stores had them at half-price." I assured Leroy.
I picked out two kites, a tweety bird for me and a sky spy for Leroy. When our children were home we had the very same sky spy kite.
I also found ripe bananas marked down. I put the bananas in my backpack and carried the kites. The bananas were bouncing on my hips (polite word for butt) so I tightened the straps. Still they were half mashed by the time I got home so I made two batches of banana bread. One of the women in the church had given me a big jar of black walnuts so I put some of them in. Leroy and I thought it was delicious especially since I had not made such a recipe for perhaps a hundred years. It was a nice treat.

Paula

No comments: