Wednesday, June 21, 2023

Serious Books

Hello, It is the longest day of the year in our hemisphere. Now days will start to have less daylight. One nice thing it will not be noticeable at first. Usually, it is a month before it is obvious to me. I have been aware of the shifting sun when I pull curtains up and down. In the past, I have read many serious fiction books. Serious enough, that Leroy would wonder how I could do that. He reads for escape and those feel-good feelings. I have learned a lot this way. But now I find that I cannot read these books that can be disturbing, late in the day or I have trouble sleeping or unsettling dreams. Right now, I have two books that are not calming books. The third book is nonfiction and it is just fine because it is more philosophical. It shows the better side of human nature than the worse that a person can be. I have also been reading more books that help me laugh. I do not have any of those in the house right now. Consequently, I am playing more games on the computer. Guess that is my escape. I remember one of my Slovak students told me that his mother used to read serious books, just as he did, but now she was reading mostly romance which he found a little disturbing. As if she had crossed into something less edifying. I have not quite gotten to romance, but humorous is very nice. This was an intellectual guy who preferred English books and would get in trouble in the Slovak classes because he was reading them when he should have been paying attention to science or math. I have not kept contact with the guy so I do not know what he is doing as an adult. Paula

No comments: