Wednesday, June 28, 2023

How much Fruit

Hello, I volunteered to bring a fruit salad that would feed 6-8 people. Yesterday, I learned that there were half the expected salads so a very large salad was needed. The empty container seemed large, but not impossible to fill. Ten apples, one pineapple, four pounds of strawberries, a large bag of grapes, one box of blueberries, four bananas, and one cantaloupe seemed adequate in the grocery. Even last night it looked fine with all the whole items. This morning after ten chopped apples only covered the bottom of the container, tension mounted. The pineapple was only average so it did not add much bulk. An extra apple helped. The strawberries added some more. The grapes seemed to take up a nice amount of space. The cantaloupe contributed as did the blueberries on top. Because bananas turn brown, once open, they went to church in the natural state. I took along some wounded pride as I started to explain that I did not know how much fruit was needed. At that point, I was told it was ok as there were really six more salads coming and this amount was plenty. What a relief. Even though we often cut up produce for our consumption, there was barely enough time to get this done. Deep breaths were needed to create a calm heart and mind and keep my fingers out of the way of the knife blade. I did not stay for serving, but helped to pack it all up to be transported to the serving site. There is much satisfaction in helping. While at church outdoor plants were watered. We had a disappointingly small rainfall this morning. Paula

No comments: