Tuesday, December 22, 2020

The last kale harvest

Hello,

 

Leroy told me the temperature is to drop tomorrow in the single digit area. The kale will probably not survive the low. I went today to harvest the last of it. I gave it to a friend who cooks for many food insecure people. I was disappointed at how little kale was left, but I believe she will still be able to find a use for it even though it will not add any large amount of food.  

 

It was a bit of a struggle to pick it because, even though it was in the 3o’s, my hands kept getting cold. I could have chosen a more flexible pair of gloves, but did not think of it until I was at the garden and did not want to go back. I believe there was some new growth since I cut the last time. At least small new leaves were showing. I am happy to be picking something from the garden on December 22nd. What a gift! This new spot for the community garden has been a struggle because it is hard to get the soil worked up well from sod. The kale has become the star performer. Unfortunately, others do not appreciate it as much as I do. I am impressed at what struggles the pioneers must have had to coax food from the ground.

 

Leroy and I will both be home tomorrow. Not sure what excitement life might bring. Tonight we did see the two planets almost merged. At least we believe we were looking at the right thing.

 

Paula

No comments: