Wednesday, December 23, 2020

Mouse in the house

Hello,

 

Yesterday Leroy said, “I think we have a mouse in the house. I heard this little stepping sound, looked up and caught a glimpse of something with the corner of my eye. I then saw it again going around the corner. ”

 

I was a bit skeptical. After all how much noise would a mouse make walking? Maybe Leroy just had floaters in his eyes. How can mice be on the second floor? How do they get here? But in spite of those feelings, I said, “If you fetch the trap I will set it.”

 

Leroy does not like to set traps. Could be, he is afraid of snapping his finger. It is a little tricky to get ones fingers to safety. I am just happy it is not a rat trap or even a bear trap. How does one set a bear trap?

 

He could only find one trap in the attic even though we both think we should have two up there. I put a thin layer of organic,(Only the best for a mouse, you know. Actually it is all we have in the house.), peanut butter on the proper spot.

 

Even though he did not see this mouse in the kitchen, I set it up there with the string tucked under the fern stand. That anchoring is to keep the mouse from running away with the trap.

 

All day and no mouse came. When we went to bed the trap had been undisturbed. In the morning going to that side of the kitchen I spied the trap turned over with a good sized mouse in there. Eek!

 

“Leroy we have a mouse,” I said, “I nominate you to take it out.”

 

That part of the job Leroy will do so I was happy.

 

I set the trap again even though Leroy believes it is the only mouse in the house. Tomorrow we will learn if it is here. But if no mouse I vote leave the trap for another day or two.

 

Paula

No comments: