Tuesday, December 8, 2020

Big Black Trucks

Hello,

 

Big black trucks are working in our neighborhood.  They are doing more clean up now. They went through two times taking trees and tree parts. Now they are taking fences and other debris that was damaged in the August 10 derecho. Amazing how ordinary this word, derecho, seems now. I had never heard it before about August 12 or 13.



 

The other day, Leroy and I were walking in the park and one of those big black trucks came over a rise. We immediately stepped off the path, both because we did not want to be run over and we were happy to see them working. It is my understanding this a company from Michigan. I can attest that they are working seven days a week. They also seem to be working for sun up to sun down. I have gotten so that I wave at them when I see them, hoping they realize that is a thank you wave even though I know they are being paid.

 

This morning, Leroy and I walked past a pile of stuff on the sidewalk that has been there since August. We do not like walking in the grass in the dark. Once I stepped in a hole or depression in the lawn. Most people put it out closer to the street. Leroy said, “This is so far in they will not take it.”

 

Some of the stuff is from a remodel and not the storm so I did not think they should take it. However, this afternoon they took it. It was difficult, but they managed. I was impressed at the long arm of the claw. Many of the things fell from that scoop and they had to return to that spot more than once.

 

I walked to a public mail box and was impressed at how much cleaner it looks around here. There has been so much junk out along the streets that was storm related. Who knew clean up would take so long. It was a seriously big job that those big trucks have tackled.

 

Leroy said, “I saw the city working on one of the tree root balls. So they are trying to take care of those as well.”

 

Paula

No comments: