Thursday, January 31, 2019

Adventures At Home



Hello,



Turning on the hot water resulted in nothing coming out of the pipes in the morning. The water heater is in the unheated attic. Leroy immediately said, “The pipes are probably frozen.”



With visions of bursting pipes and water pouring down he added, “I had better text our downstairs friends who own the house.”



Later we learned that we woke them up, but warmly dressed, ungrumpy Clark attended to it promptly with hair dryer in hand. In a few minutes water was flowing. Nice!



Our thermometer registered a low of -25 with the lowest wind chill reading that I noted of -43F. We happily stayed in and let the hot water gently drip away.



In the afternoon there was a loud knocking on the door. When I ran down I opened to a bundled up man with frozen beard. At my curious look he said, “Your internet is down?”



“We expected you tomorrow!” I exclaimed.



“Well, I am here now,” he assured me.



He checked things outside, inside in our apartment, and down in the basement. Several trips in and out and up and down had him panting a bit with no solution coming for almost an hour. Finally he checked the phone jack. It was declared not working. With another trip back to the truck to get a new one, another trip upstairs, and with some screwing around it was pronounced working. This phone jack must have been failing for a long time. I do not remember the internet being so fast as it is now.



We are so pleased that this guy worked in the cold without complaining. At least he seemed in an ok mood around us. Customer service with a smile



Paula

No comments: