Wednesday, January 30, 2019

Working in spite of Cold

Hello,



Last night I worked until 8:00 pm as usual. Many called wondering if we were going to close early because of the cold. Before the evening was over, people came seeking some entertainment because of low temps predicted for the next two days. School had been cancelled already. Interesting that some wanted books, some wanted DVDs and some wanted a few of both. Sometimes discussions took place about the amount that was needed for the expected time. Reminded me of the “run on the grocery stores before a storm.” I had expected to do quite a bit of cataloging, however patrons come first.



My boss is spending money on buying books just now so my desk is full and overflowing onto a cart. Taking time off for weather has not helped that situation one bit. The new cataloging software also means that I do not move as fast as I have in the past. That is, not so fast for cataloging as well as checking out/in items for patrons. My brain is learning, learning. Learning, at this stage of my life, demands more time to get stuck in the brain folds.



Instead of working in the afternoon/evening today, I went in the morning/afternoon. I did leave early, but I could have easily stayed longer. The temperature was not below zero, but close. The wind however had become stronger or so it seemed. I felt a little guilty for leaving early after I had driven home through the weather without incident. I do not work tomorrow so it requires no decision. Leroy’s boss from the museum called and said, “You do not have to come because the museum is closed tomorrow.”



Can we stand being stuck in the house together for a day?



Paula

No comments: