Wednesday, January 30, 2019

Low Temps

Hello,



Maybe because it is being in the warm house, or perhaps it is the wonderful sun, but the low temp of -25 F. does not seem as cold as I had imagined. You must understand that I have not yet been out in that temperature which has now risen to -13.



Surely it was colder when the car tires froze flat on the resting side in MN while Leroy was going to the seminary. I could not figure out what bumps I was driving over. Later a radio announcer explained it. I do not know the low temperature that day, but the high was -16 F. School was held as usual. I was substituting in those days. When I came out to start the car the engine roared like a jet engine, not that I had ever heard a jet engine up close, but it scared me plenty so I quickly turned off the car. A high school student was close by. He came over and told me, “That happened to me last night. The choke is stuck. With the clutch in, tap smartly on the gas pedal and it will be gone.”



He was right and I drove off without incident.



Our hot water pipe was frozen this morning. Our great, caring landlord came up rather promptly (they live downstairs,) and quickly figured out a solution. Our water heater is in the attic and it is quite cold up there. Hair dryer heat opened it up. We now have a faucet drip to keep it going.



Leroy for some reason does not feel so well, but it is hard to pin down. His stomach is not happy. This morning he felt better than last night, but now as we approach afternoon his is not so good again.



Paula

No comments: