Sunday, January 13, 2019

Exciting Saturday

Hello,



We woke up to snow on the ground, only about two inches, more or less. Because I did not leave for my 12 mile drive to Ely until 8:30 I got ready before Leroy went out to shovel. With the snow still coming he wanted to be as close to leaving time as possible when shoveling by the garage. I had no trouble getting out of the unplowed alley; however traversing the uphill ramp to the interstate was another story. There was no way to get any momentum as the start of this ascent is a 90 degree curve. It had not been plowed as was also true of the street. Previous cars made a small path. The dash slipping light came on several times on the way up. I am not sure what that light means when it comes on, but it seems to make the wheels stop spinning. Once on top, I was disappointed to see that the interstate had not yet been plowed. I stayed in the right lane getting my bearings for the feel of the road when I heard a loud bang. A car that was going faster than I in the far left lane had slammed into the guardrail, coming to an immediate stop. I took that as a warning that it was very slippery. I and most others just crept, speeding up a little when there were some clear spots.



Quite a lot of traffic was in the inbound lanes and I could see paths, but on the outbound it was mostly snow covered with just the middle lane having a path. Even though I was not going as fast as some others, I moved over there as I needed to be there in a bit anyway.



The ramp to the exit had not been plowed. It was a bit scary as almost no one had been on it and more snow was piled up. The Ely road was also not plowed. I just kept my speed slow and hung on. Again I met a lot of cars and they had a path that made the pavement visible. I sometimes guessed as to where the side of the road was. A car was following me and I noted that they never got close. I was so happy to get to work and out of the car. I had worn boots and I was grateful for them. With the snow still coming I put a cover on the front windshield.

To be continued.



Paula

No comments: