Friday, September 15, 2017

Silly Me

Hello,



Wednesday, my day off, I worked in the garden early in the morning and was joined by a friend. We managed to get the winter onions looking better than they have in some time. Leroy is planning to once again rent a tiller and till up the garden in the fall followed by planting a cover crop. I suggested that he might like to till the onion bed as it has not been changed for at least three years. My friend agreed that it could use a remake. My plan is to harvest some of those small onion bulbs that continue to form, till, and then plant the bulbs for next spring’s earliest harvest.



Last week Leroy complained about being extremely tired. I must have that same vague illness because I even lay down for ten minutes after coming back from the garden. In spite of still feeling tired, I headed off to deliver the neighborhood newsletters that were left. It was two and a half blocks. Doesn’t sound like much does it? All of these blocks are a bit of work because of the hills involved. Some of these houses have about ten to fifteen steps up to their front door. I shamelessly cut across lawns if I can to avoid going up and down so many steps. However, on the last full block I decided to go back and forth across the block so I would not go up one side and down the other. Thus I would be in the right position to finish the half block. It was a struggle in my mind to keep going. More than once I chided myself about starting on such a vigorous plan. After all I could have done much more on Friday and still have the newsletter out on time. Just as I started down the last half block I ran out of papers. In my mind I was figuring out how I would get more papers. When I got home I found just the number of papers I needed. I had not taken them all with me! Silly me, but that means I had another good excuse to walk today.



Paula

No comments: