Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Knowing Neighbors


Hello,



Getting to know neighbors can be a slow process. Lately it has speeded up a little. We were out walking when we met two women and a young child. The younger woman greeted Leroy with, “Do you work at the Czech museum?”



Can you imagine? It was one of his coworkers who moved in across the alley and down two houses. Her husband works for Coe College. Seems that the neighborhood is getting smaller. She was very interested to learn about the community garden as she has had a very large garden in the past. I am just hoping for some avid weeders to come some day.



Then shortly thereafter Leroy looked out the kitchen window at the house next door. He saw a bat flying close to dusk in an area that is like a summer sleep room on the second floor. We (I went too, because I did not want to be left out.) knocked on the door to let them know about it. A nice conversation ensued. I do think that fences keep us from visiting as it blocks the causal wave when either of us is outside.



The garden finally produced some cucumbers. That also ledA to the chance to visit with some neighbors who were outside. Leroy took some produce to a man down our street who has told me that he will eat almost all veggies. He unfortunately has difficulty walking so he cannot easily get to the garden. This year the garden has not produced as well so I have not had the key for visits. I am not comfortable just talking a lot to almost strangers. It must be that introvert holding me back.



Paula

No comments: