Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Library Noises

Hello.



I close the library two nights at 8:00 PM. A patron once asked, “
Are you scared to be here all by yourself when it is dark outside?”



I blithely answered, “No, it is not really that late, and I have never felt any bad vibes from anyone.”



Well last night, after I had locked the front door, I was checking the back rooms when I heard a sound of something shifting out in the main library room. With gathered courage and self talk that encouraged, “Who could be in here? It was empty when I locked.” I went back to the main room of the library, quickly walked the width of the building, checked down the stacks as I went, and saw no one. Maybe something that was piled up had shifted? In the office we have a few piles of this and that. I rapidly went through the rest of the closing steps which included walking about that main library room again. Everything looked fine. I went in the office, gathered my things, turned out the lights only to hear a sound loud enough to startle. After the first shock I realized it sounded like someone’s phone, but then rapidly became aware that it was some toy that had been donated that afternoon. I was happy to leave the building. I felt unusual caution outside of the building, but all was peaceful.



Before I reached the edge of town, I noticed that some lights were in a very odd place. I wondered if it was motorcycles or just what as I slowed down. Before I got to it I realized that it was a car that had gone onto the side of a cross street and was squarely aimed at a stop sign. It was still sticking out a bit in the street that I was driving on. I still had not stopped when this car started backing up in front of me and into my lane of traffic. Brakes were applied as I waited until they completed their maneuvering back onto the street proper.



I was so happy to get home and found I was all in one piece with no harm done except for a heightened heart beat from time to time.



That lucky Leroy just called and told me that he is not going to be home for dinner. He is the fourth in a group taking a guest speaker out to eat. This man wrote a book called “My Train to Freedom”. I had wanted to hear him speak, but we have choir tonight. I did encourage Leroy to stay if he wanted, but he said, “The crowd is already at standing room only.”



Paula

No comments: