Wednesday, January 25, 2017

New Thoughts

Hello,

I am reading Go Set A Watchman by Harper Lee. To Kill a Mockingbird has long been one of my favorite books. The more recently published book has not caught my attention too much until today. Now I am seeing a new side to the character, Atticus Finch. Just like his fictional daughter I am shocked and astonished at what she has learned. How is it possible that I feel let down by an unreal person? I want to change the story. Perhaps it is teaching me that all of us have many sides. That is what makes us human. Not all of the sides are likeable as we would wish them to be.  Part of me always longed for another great novel from Ms Lee, but now I wonder if I just wanted to leave her on the pinnacle of greatness. By the end of the book I might say that she is still on top of the thinking crowd.

When putting dishes away this afternoon I opened a door above my head; an old storage/microwave dish came cascading down to the floor where it broke into thousands of pieces. Two things I am grateful for: the dish did not hit me, no pieces hit me, and I can live without this dish. Last summer we bought another at a garage sale. That one, we learned, is one of the original and is unbreakable. Course that was one reason that the stack was so precarious; there were too many items in the stack. My storage space is limited so I have to be a bit creative sometimes.

At least the kitchen floor is now vacuumed. I did not have that planned, but it got done anyway. The drip in the bathroom sink is fixed and the toilet flushes as it ought. Life is good with things that work.


Paula

No comments: