Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Creative Cooking and drying clothes

Hello,

My finger still does not know just where to go for the 7 when writing the date. Once it is solid a new year will be here. Time flies!

Yesterday I made a dish for lunch that had a whole onion because it needed to be used, mushrooms because we like them, summer squash because it was close to the front of the freezer, and cranberries because they caught my eye in the freezer. Leroy and I both declared it quite good. The spices were turmeric and marjoram. Somehow it all blended together just fine. Now you must know that this can never be duplicated because as usual I just added things randomly without regard to amounts which were dictated most by what I had on hand.

I washed clothes today and hung most of them on the racks in the house. One rack we bought, but the other belonged to my mother. When I use it I think about her. She had no motorized dryer. She had a wringer washer and it was out on the unheated porch so wash day was serious business. Today I knew that even though the temperatures were in the single digits she would have hung out some of the laundry, especially the larger pieces, to let them dry in the breeze or perhaps the freezing would have made some of the water evaporate.

I also thought of our time Slovakia where we did not have a dryer, just racks. Heat was plentiful so clothes dried quickly. It was a positive because it added some moisture to the rather dry indoor air. I am grateful for the chance to impact my health and quality of life by visiting memories.


Paula

No comments: