Sunday, January 22, 2017

Games

Hello,

Leroy does not like to play Boggle with me because I win most of the time. The table has turned. We played today and Leroy won the first three games. I did finally win two of them, but it was a hard climb. Perhaps it is good for him to have had all of that eye therapy. I now know that feeling of sitting, failing to see any words while my opponent is madly scribbling answers. It is not encouraging. The trick is not to indulge in negative self talk.

Now Leroy is playing his traffic jam game that was recommended by his therapist. He has made much more progress with that than I have. Neither of us has done very well with the game called On the Dot. These brains are slowing down.

I am trying to ramp up my cardio exercise routines as I understand that is also good for the brain. I generally do not get my heart rate elevated. All of my reading indicates that it is one of the very important parts of healthy living. Yoga warms me up, but generally I do not sweat or get noticeably breathless doing it. The same can be said for tai chi.

At least when I walk with Leroy I get a good workout as he travels much faster than I would when walking by myself. Today, however, I was ahead of him quite a bit of the time. He is slacking off!

I am doing some free weights. Probably more twenty years ago I bought a set that has weights that can easily be put off and on. Each of two dumbbells goes from 2.5 to 12.5 pounds. With enough reps that is good for both of us. I do not use the extremes on either end. It seemed like a large, heavy purchase at the time, but both of us are using them from time to time. So I consider it a good investment.

Paula


No comments: