Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Responsible, Me?

Hello,

In September at the time of the flood my friend, Mary visited me in the library with her friend who had taught in Eastern Slovakia. The teacher had some Slovak items that she wanted to donate to the museum, but had been unable to get there because of the flood preparations. I glibly said, “Yes I can see that they get there.”

We looked at some of the pottery that she had. Some I recognized, some not. She did put her name and address in the container. Because our apartment is small, I put it in the storage room at the library, getting permission from my boss before I did that.

Just last week Mary said, “My friend is still looking for the tax receipt on those donated items.”

“I will check with Leroy to find out what happened,” I stated firmly.

Leroy could not remember doing anything with that container. I assured him that I must have given it to him as we do not like so many things in the storage area at the library. Plus my boss had cleaned out back there and it was so nice with less stuff crammed in. I’m thinking Leroy’s memory is slipping. Although he does not always remember what is around him, he can remember the most unusual English words that are of little use for the common conversation.

On the day Leroy worked after Thanksgiving he checked in the library for that box. He could not find it. He then asked what it was in; I told him a tub like we have our Slovak things in. He had been looking for a cardboard box so he did another search the next time he worked there. He called Mary and asked for a further description of the container. She thought it was a box not a tub.

Finally today the person who is in charge of donations was at the museum. That person did a big search, but was unable to find that item.

Both Leroy and I are feeling the responsibility of this item, as it gains weight with each failure to find it.

“Tell me everything you know about bringing it to the museum,” Leroy ordered me.

“I don’t remember anything about it. I think I must have given it to you,” I whined, “and you took it in.”

“I think you should check at your library. If it is not there we have to tell Mary that we cannot find it,” he stated rather emphatically.

I called my boss. “Do you remember that box of pottery that Mary’s friend brought over?”

“Yes,” she said, “It is in the back room.”

“But you cleaned back there,” I said.

“Only against the wall and not in the middle where it is,” she said, “I’ll go look for it right now. Hold on.”

I could hear her walking and moving something before she said, “It is right here.”

“Thanks!” I said.

With that information, I called Leroy. We have both lost a load. Leroy was a little ticked at me, but quite relieved. It will be a while before I say yes so lightly once again. Maybe tomorrow?


Paula

No comments: