Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Warm Fall Day

Hello,

The best thing about today was that I walked to the garden to check on the zucchini because it was a bit cool this morning. Each surviving plant has a three inch narrow fruit on the vine. I left them since they seem to be able to make it for a few more days before the temperature dips below freezing. The warmth at this time is quite amazing. I did pick up a number of tomatoes from the ground that have a nice red hue to them. There are still some almost ripe red ones on the plants and I hope some of the neighbors find them.

Another good time in my day was walking around the neighborhood delivering newsletters. I tried to watch my step while still absorbing the beauty of the leaves left on the trees. It is fun to see a beautiful, full, leafed tree next to one that has closed shop for the season. For some reason there were a number of dogs feeling quite territorial of their yard today. They barked vociferously, running and leaping at the fence when I came close to their house. I also met several people who were out walking dogs. Those dogs also seemed to regard me as an intruder. Luckily their walkers had a good hold on the leash.

As I was walking up my block I saw a couple get out of their truck and approach their house. Because they were not looking at me as I passed I did not say hello. I do not know them, but have seen them before and greeted them. I was not much past them when there was a big explosive sound. My heart raced as I jumped and turned with a startle. They did not say anything, just stared at me, and neither did I. I then realized that it was a firecracker that the man had set off. As I proceeded on my way there were more popping sounds. I can’t say that I was impressed with all that nor did I find it to be kind and courteous. I guess there are all kinds of people in the world, but a little warning would have been nice or perhaps a little waiting so it would not have been so close to me. My marvelous heart shortly returned to a normal beating pattern.


Paula

No comments: