Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Summer and Reading

Hello,

Summer has come while I was concentrating on the cold. I now have to close curtains and windows on the sunny side of the house. Amazing development! Our deck and front have been decorated with beautiful flowers that will please all summer and some of the fall. What a gift that is! I have not worn a jacket in the last two days. I still take something to work because I never know how cold it will be there. I am one of the people who likes a little more heat in the summer, when inside buildings. Many places are much to cold for me.

I have been reading a book that fits in the young adult category. It was highly recommended by one of my co-workers. It is Code Name verity by Elizabeth Wein. The setting is England and France during WWII. For some reason I have had a difficult time figuring out just what is happening. Now that I am close to the end I like it, but it has been a struggle. It has to do with spies and fooling the Germans. Perhaps it is my German background, but I was fooled completely. Or perhaps it is because I am not so very good at spying and espionage. Good thing that last word was close enough to be caught by spell check. I was floundering.

I kept reading this book mostly because I did not want to admit that I was too dumb to get it. And because I see my colleague three days a week and I did not want to admit that I did not like it. Now I have passed the hurtle and I can honestly report liking it quite a lot. Rereading might make it even more enjoyable, but I have two book clubs coming up and I want to read a book for each of them. Rereading is not generally my style. There are far too many good books out there that call my name. Almost every day at work someone will recommend something that grabs my attention for a minute. I store the title in my brain for a bit and then can never find it again until the book crosses the desk once more. I never used to read more than one book at a time. Right now I am reading five books and two that I have not started, plus I have five magazines in my book basket. Am I out of control or what?


Paula

No comments: