Friday, May 13, 2016

Leroy Wanted a Ride

Hello,

Leroy said I can tell you what a wimp he is. Earlier he called asking me to pick him up in the car at church which is only a mile away, he had ridden the bike. It was not raining very much here. I had just come home from the grocery store, a little more than four blocks. It did not make me noticeably wet. During the call, I looked out and noted that the sidewalk was still dry under the trees. He said, “I still need to go to one of the hospitals. The umbrella here has a broken spine. ”

“Do that. Call me if you still think you need a ride when you get there.” I told him.

Leroy could tell I really did not want to come get him so he walked to the hospital and back then continued on home. He was not really very wet, except for the bottom of his pant legs. But he commented when he got here, “So you could not imagine that it might be raining more a mile away?”

That was so true.

When out shopping today I was walking to the car looking at what I had purchased and vaguely watching where I was going when I walked back of a pickup that was so close I could touch it. I realized it was backing at me. I yelped and stepped back just as the driver slammed on his brakes. I went to the side of his truck so he could see me and pull out. He rolled the window down and apologized profusely. “I was looking at my back up screen when I saw you come into view.”

Those cameras are good, but probably in parking lots especially, it pays to look to the sides before going back. Although as the driver of a smaller vehicle it is often difficult if not impossible to see around the SUV or truck parked next to me. We agreed it was a lucky day for both of us and we wished each other a good day.


Paula

No comments: