Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Rubarb

Hello,

I went to the community garden because Leroy had noticed no one had picked any rhubarb. I got a nice amount, enough to make a crisp. The oatmeal supply was slim indeed so the crisp turned into a new invention with much more flour in it than is the usual case. I will know later if it is good to eat or not. I expect Leroy and I will figure out some way to make it good. Or will we just convince ourselves that it is good and eat it anyway? I had a banana that I added to it as well as some strawberries. Seems to me that ought to sweeten it along with the molasses I generously drizzled over the top of the rhubarb before adding the rest of the experimental topping.

The dandelions looked so good that I picked some more greens. I’m even wondering if I should freeze some for later. In less than a week Leroy is going to get the garden tilled so I cannot get more from there. I also picked some cilantro. It was quite fragrant. We had thought the oregano was growing in the community garden, but I now wonder if it is thyme instead. I wish I knew more about both of them. We do have oregano by the house and the garden plant looks different. Looking at the ground up herbs in a jar does not give a clue as to their normal appearance. I planted one celery plant by the house and I will plant the other in the garden after it is tilled. I produced these celery plants by cutting off the top of a stalk and putting the bottom in water. They start sending up shots almost immediately. We like the garden celery for cooking. It tends to be a bit strong and stringy so I do not like to eat it raw. But then I am not a big fan of raw celery even from the store.

I am reading a children’s book which is about youth who opposed Hitler. I had not heard of this movement before. It is called; We will not be Silent by Russell Freedman. Just in case any of you might like to read it too.


Paula

No comments: