Saturday, October 31, 2015

Museum Day

Hello,

Rainy mist was in the air when we left to do some museum touring. First stop was the Czech-Slovak museum to check out the new exhibit on the protests in the Czech Republic during the communist era. It was interesting, but not quite finished yet as there was not signage and I really only read English. I might have to return at a later date. There is also a display on the history of beer. Even though I do not drink beer I did find that quite interesting and informative. It is certainly an historic drink. Andy Warhol is the next exhibit coming in the spring. That should be good. We did go to a Warhol exhibit when we lived in Slovakia. I certainly learned a lot about him. All I had before that was name recognition.

The next stop was the African-American museum where we saw their new exhibit of African-American inventors. There were certainly a lot of them and many of these inventions and innovations affect and improve our lives today. Unfortunately their names are not in most history books. I did know three of the names that were featured, plus I knew about two of the inventions were by African-Americans, but not the names of the people. It was interesting to me that several of them had an Iowa connection; often that was because of attending school in the state.

In the afternoon Leroy and I made another batch of applesauce. I am now out of jars even though there are still two buckets in the garage. I will make more apple crisp from time to time and we eat them each day on our oatmeal and in our lunches. That should use quite a few, plus I will have to give some away.


Paula

No comments: