Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Community Garden

Hello,

The community garden, like other gardens, is slowing down for the cold to come. Leroy had obligations on his usual garden working night so he went the next night. He commented, “There was not much to do. Oh I could have found weeds if I had looked hard enough, but I did not really want to. It gets dark so early that I could not do much anyway.”

Instead he picked things. Celery, parsley and broccoli we have had home, but the broccoli needed to be picked. Leroy also commented re the celery, “I don’t think anyone else is using it.”

I do understand that feeling. I find the green very seductive and often bring home more than I need at the moment. He also brought home some basil which just adds its delightful aroma to the kitchen. Tonight I will find something that will taste good with some of these things.

Soon the day will come when I will have to decide what leaves; broccoli, brussel sprouts, or collards, I would like to freeze and have a good supply later. We did that last year and enjoyed them for a long time. Then I will wish I have a larger freezer. I suppose I could look into what would be involved in canning them. Would we like that?

We were invited to pick some apples. They are quite delicious. I will stop buying apples for a while. They are a staple at our house. We share one for breakfast and then we each eat one later in the day. It is a serious matter when there are no apples in the house.

I did use some of the apples to make a crisp. I am grateful for the gift. The occasional worm sighting tells me that the apples have not been sprayed. At least I have a knife and can cut them out.

I delivered some neighborhood newsletters today. One house has an apple tree that I walk under to get to the front door. Looking at all the apples on the ground, I picked one off the tree and found it to have a nice mild flavor. What a shame to see them just rot.


Paula

No comments: