Friday, October 16, 2015

Fall Chores

Hello,

Our house smells of basil and Cuban oregano, or some people might say it reeks instead of smells. Luxury abounds. We went to the community garden to get things that might freeze tonight or tomorrow night. Leroy even came home from work two hours early to help me. He was a great help and motivator.  Someone had told us there were a lot of tomatoes that needed to be picked. I was happy to see that someone had picked most of them. We still got enough tomatoes to last for several days. We also picked small egg plant, small zucchini, and small peppers wondering if they would be any good. The egg plant are just blooming their little hearts out many of the plants have more than five blossoms. Broccoli was also picked because some of it was blooming. It can take quite a lot colder temps, so I was not truly concerned about it. The arugula looked quite good and I will enjoy that in my lunches next week. Then there was basil, parsley, and celery to pick. Lovely! This garden trip will feed us for a week or so.

Leroy and I had an overnight guest last night. She is from the Czech Republic. She is an archivist and giving advice about what to keep in the library collection. When considering having company, especially people I do not know, I always get myself worked up in a bit of a tizzy, but it was just easy so I do not know what all the fuss was about. Yesterday at work I was so busy so that helped as I did not think about it until on the way home.

Leroy reported that today at work, she found a book that she can use as she is working on her doctorate. It is a very old book and not found elsewhere. I am not sure how she will gather and retain the information, but I am sure that she will figure it out. This young woman has been here for two weeks and needed to go to different lodging for the last two weeks, but there was one night unaccounted for. That Leroy helps move me to do the right thing. Her English was clear, but I had to listen carefully because of the accent from time to time. I think Leroy will miss her when she goes back home. He often comes home and talks about things they have done.


Paula

No comments: