Sunday, January 5, 2014

Walking to church

Hello,

Leroy and I had planned to drive to church when we heard it was to be very cold today. However, upon waking, walking seemed to be quite possible with a temperature of just 9 F. Certainly better than below zero. We bundled up snuggly, especially Leroy, and headed out. The rapid walk, since we started a little late, helped me to feel quite warm by the time we got there. We went to the earliest service and then stayed for Sunday school. Leroy left after that and I stayed for a book club meeting.

Someone asked if I wanted a ride. Has it gotten much colder I wondered? She assured me that it had and the wind was stronger. After the meeting, when I was looking for my wool sock and could not find it I decided for sure I had better take advantage of her offer. I live somewhat in the direction she was going so I don’t feel too bad about accepting a ride from her. Of course this was my best wool sock that I could not find, but after some searching I found it on the shelf in the coat room. I suppose it had fallen out of my boots. I do not wear the socks and the boots in the building because I would be much too warm.

I was a little sorry that I did not walk home because it did not seem so bad to me. The temperature was still above zero. Now tomorrow is when the real cold settles in. I wish that I worked in town here. But I suspect it will all be ok because I have been out in even colder temps. Once in MN when Leroy was at seminary, I kept thinking I was driving over bumps on the road, but I could not see them. Later I heard that it was that the tires had frozen flat. I remember that day the high temperature was -16 F. I believe that was my coldest day. I cannot remember the low. Now I am thankful that the furnace works and that we have plenty of heat in our upstairs apartment.


Paula

No comments: