Sunday, January 19, 2014

Outdoor Life

Hello,

It was a great day to walk to church. It was early so quite a bit colder than when we came home. As long as we could be in a position that the wind could not get at us we were fine, but we made the trip in a short time, nothing like a wind to urge you forward. My hips were a little tired from being careful on the more icy looking spots. Perhaps because it was a Saturday when the last snow came, people had shoveled their walks, but sometimes there was an icy strip under a thin layer of snow which felt unsafe even if we did not slip at all.

Yesterday at work I noted varying responses to the weather. Several people told me they were trying to keep warm. While some told me it was not bad and one person even declared it to be nice out. Attitude does indeed make a difference to the same day in the same place.

It is so great to look out at the snow in the sun. It lifts my spirits. I should be out sledding or something fun like that instead I have been in the house since we came home.

Brian has a sled that I bought at a neighbor’s garage sale when we lived in Missouri Valley, IA. We left there in 1984 and we had it a little while before we left so that should give you an idea of the age of this sled. We have always pronounced it to be the best sled ever. I remember hesitating because they wanted $5.00 for the sled, but it has earned my respect over and over again. Now I think it was a bargain. This sled is a black plastic that easily allows two people to sit in it especially if one is a child. There are medal handles that can be used to steer or brake. Oh and did I mention that it goes very fast on many types of snow?

Brian and family went sledding with some other families and they were all impressed with this sled. For some time, it has had some holes in the bottom that we put cardboard over so the snow was not coming in so much. His friends told Brian, “That sled is so good that you should try to fix those holes.” It might live a long time yet.

I have never seen another sled like this before or since. I think someone should manufacture it once more. It is the best.


Paula

No comments: