Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Brave or Inured?

Hello,

Am I brave or inured? I do not know. It had not started to snow when I went to work, but started as darkness approached. It just kept going with patrons bringing reports of slippery, cold, and snowy conditions. I would look out from time to time and see snow or little snow in the air.

I had worn my boots to work because I do not like going out to the car in shoes, changing to boots and then cleaning the car of snow. I have to confess that I closed the library about five minutes early, in part because no one had been in for at least fifteen minutes and it was still snowing heavily and rather windy. The car was about as covered with snow as I have seen it.

Because of my experience when subbing while Leroy was at seminary I get snow off all parts of the car. I once came out from subbing to find at least three inches of snow on the car. I dutifully cleared only the windows, hopped in, drove onto the interstate, increased speed, and got lost in a white out as the snow blew off the front of the car onto the windows causing them to fog over so badly that I could not see for some time. And that was when my young eyes could see better. I can tell you that driving blind on the interstate in St. Paul, MN is not something I would recommend, even though it was a source of excitement. Since then I have become a serious snow remover.

The drive home did not seem too bad in spite of the wind whipping snow across my line of sight; at least it was only temporary. By the time I was almost home, I realized that I did not have that death grip on the steering wheel and felt almost comfortable. The most disconcerting time was on the notorious curves on the Interstate in town. I had noticed that I seemed to be losing people behind me as they exited here and there. I wondered briefly if they knew something I did not and they were getting off. By the time I was navigating that s curve there was no one following me or ahead of me. I slowed down to 35 mph and kept on without incident. I believe that I have never been on that stretch of road by myself. Eerie experience!

I even made it home before Leroy expected me. I had called him when I was going out to the car so he could take up the worry role if he cared to do so. Actually that was so that if I did not appear in a reasonable amount of time he could search for me.


Paula

No comments: