Monday, December 31, 2012

Learning


Hello,

I thought I was ok with learning new technology, but now I have to confess that it is not true. I am really fighting using the IPod. It is especially annoying that so many people find it such a great thing and easy to use. For me it is more difficult than pulling out a CD and playing it.

When Miriam was here last summer she showed us some things about the device, but we have hardly used it since then. Getting the local temperature at the airport has been the most popular use for it. It seems like an expensive way to learn the temp. Opening a window would be easier and cheaper, but not an official number.

Stephen showed us some of the same things and then some more. I will try to use it more, but one music problem is that the speakers are in the living room and when in that room we usually read. I do not like to have on music when I am reading as it distracts me a great deal. I would like it in the kitchen, but there is no good place to put the speakers in that room. One solution is to buy another docking station that is smaller than the current one.

Then there are all the other things that can be done on the IPod touch. I find them hard to deal with as I can type so much faster and more accurately on the computer keyboard. One finger is not my style. My fingers must be too big as I am constantly getting other unintended keys requiring back tracking. Perhaps I could get better if I used it more, but it is hard for me to see why I should do that when I could be done on the computer. I suppose the one advantage that I can think of is that is faster to turn on, but when I have to put in my password four times it seems to take away that speed advantage. Also since it is not an IPhone we cannot easily use it when we are out and about as we need the WIFI connection. I did look at my email on there, but it was annoying to take so long to get it done when I could have turned on the computer and easily had the whole thing finished ten minutes sooner.

Paula

No comments: