Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Fixing the Phone


Hello,

Last night Leroy tried to call to let me know that he was coming home from Chicago in the same day that he left. It would just be very late. We could not hear each other. So I called him back again no sound was transmitted. Then he thought to try my cell and I then found out the information.

Because it was already after nine at night I thought I would call Miriam since it was only after eight there. I did not realize there was no one answering so I called two more times with the last being on my cell to let them know that I just had a phone that did not work. Miriam was gone and Andy was working in a place in the house with no phone easily accessible.  However, with the additional calls he thought it was an emergency and scrambled madly to get out of his tight spot. He was relieved to learn it was only a phone that did not work.

I cut the power to the phone system four times without solving the problem. I just hate to make this type of phone call so I put it off until morning after I once again tried to reset.

Then I tried the live chat with the phone provider. She had me run a test to learn my download and upload speeds. I also found out the jitter rate as well as the packet fill. That told her that my packet fill rate was off. Who knows what all is going on through the air! Jittering, filling, uploading and downloading. It is a wonder that we can walk through it. She indicated that I should call my internet provider. I informed her that it was my landlord’s. She then suggested that we could fix it immediately with a call to their help line. She provided the number and the times of operation. I had to wait a bit since it was CA time. After a 20 minute phone call our phone is once again working. That seems like a long time, but compared to the old days when someone might have to come to your home it was fast, fast, fast.

You might wonder what Leroy was doing in Chicago. They had rented a 16 ft. truck to pick up a load of donated books. They thought they might need two days, but one long day sufficed to move a full truck of books.

Paula

No comments: