Thursday, December 20, 2012

Home, but not alone


Hello,

My slight fever of 100 is still with me, as is Leroy. It is not because he is sick but because the museum/library closed today with all of the snow coming down. It seems logical that they would not be inundated with visitors on just such a day. As I write this I remember going to the conservatory in St. Paul during a blizzard. It was just a few blocks from our house. It was wonderfully refreshing to go inside to the world of tropical plants as the wind howled outside. As I recall the news was there too, probably recording the weird people who felt they could come on such a day with drifts piled in the parking lot. There was one other car out there. At that point in time no hill daunted us even if of the roller coaster type. Leroy was in seminary at that time so that gives you an idea of our age.

When he went to choir practice last night I was quite jealous of Leroy because he stated, “As soon as I got a block away from the house the snow started pelting down. Walking in the snow is a great thing. I do not think we got the predicted mega inches because it was warm for so long and it rather quickly melted at first. Now there is probably seven or eight inches out there. It is so lovely to look out our windows and see the evergreens loaded with snow.

Observations:
1. I still like to get Christmas cards and hold them in my hands even though I am willing to move away from that practice. My card holder is filling up and I like that.

2. Why does the mercury in an old fashioned fever thermometer go up but not down as other similar devices that record temperature of the air? Why can I shake it down? Does shaking have any effect on the outdoor type?

Paula

No comments: