Tuesday, June 26, 2012

More on Ethics


Hello,

The dilemma is not so much where to get rid of the discs, etc., but if we should get rid of them to another person. We have paid for these discs, therefore contributing to the livelihood of the composers. Maybe or maybe not the composers since they might be dead. But many of the artists are still alive as are the other people who earn money from putting together these products and hold royalties on them. As two people will benefit from this purchase, but only one payment comes to the producers it is cutting into their earnings. It is not like a book that can be given away, used, and given back or not. It is not owned by both at the same time or used by both at the same instant.

Perhaps we should just repurchase all of this music and give the discs away. That would solve the problem, but we are unwilling to spend money on items that we already own and have the right to.

It is the same with photocopying music. You deprive the producing people of their income from their work. At a workshop a composer said, “When you copy, instead of buying my music you are stealing from me. People want me to compose more things, but I cannot make a living at that work.” Unfortunately in spite of some law suits I think this activity still goes on under the guise of who will know, it is easy to do, it is cheaper than buying, and everyone does it. It is ironic to me that churches are some of the worst offenders. Those people who can so easily feel superior to other lowly sinners who steal because they feel they do not steal.

How is the sermon for today?

A part of me wants desperately to sin because of some of the same reasons: it is easy to do, it is cheaper than buying, and everyone does it. And it would lighten our load considerably. Who knows I/we might still do that sin.  To myself, I can also justify it by saying much of this is old and who is alive anymore anyway?

Paula

No comments: