Monday, June 25, 2012

Ethics Issues


Hello,

Leroy and I are having an ethics discussion. What to do with the CDs, records, and cassettes once we have recorded all of this music?

Our basic purpose is to lighten our moving load. Just getting rid of the equipment to play them is the largest part of the weight and bulk. But that question of disposal is easier even if it might be difficult to actually get rid of the stereo. I certainly do not want to put them in the dump since they all work, but is there a soul out there who would want these rather antiquated players?

I thought we could give away the discs, but Leroy is definitely not happy with that idea as it feels dishonest to him since we are still in possession of the sound. It is meandering in the morass of copyright issues. I protest that it is also a big problem to just add these usable items to a landfill. We both agree with the other person to a degree. But do not know how to solve it. Because the CD’s are newer and can still be easily played on some piece of equipment that we might buy in the future I could see moving them around. In addition we only have 30, but Leroy says closer to 50, consequently they are not so heavy nor do they take up as much room.

Leroy says that I could give them away, but just not tell him about it. Guess that means the sin is on me.

Then there is the question of copies that were already illegally recorded but given to us by someone else. Certainly it seems they should not be copied yet one more time; however there is a hesitancy to get rid of them as we did like to listen to them. Being honest in all is not so easy, especially when time and money are involved. Plus there is a sense that everybody does it! I do not like to know this about myself.

Paula

No comments: