Monday, June 18, 2012

Material things


Hello,

Material things do not necessarily bring instant joy, especially if there is struggle involved in using them.

We did not buy the most expensive well rated docking station, but went for one that cost about $60 less. In the store they sounded remarkably alike. Besides I am not that sensitive to sounds, or sights. I accept mediocre quite well accept when it comes to clutter. We were sure we could live with this. Then at work I mentioned to a patron friend what we had gotten. She then talked about their unit that is the expensive one. I found my immediate response was that I wanted to keep “up with the Jones” or my sister who also owns this type of speaker with a CD player. I considerably allowed that to color my outlook and joy in finally making this move so our next move could be much easier and require, if needed, much less storage space.

For some reason when I got home I took it out on Leroy who was proud to have figured the system out and recorded at least half of our CD’s put on the speaker so I could enjoy it. Instead I noticed immediately how lacking it was in fullness and richness of sound.

We talked about visiting my friend who has this upper level speaker and comparing and then possibly taking ours back and putting down the money for the better one.

Leroy said it had sounded better before I came home so we fiddled with buttons, growled at each other and the equipment, before I finally got the proper combination and got good sound. The real problem is that I do not know how to replicate it because I do not really know what I did; I just pushed buttons like an elementary student.

In teacher Leroy mode told me, “Do not push any other random buttons now that we have figured this out.”

We decided to keep the speaker and I think it sounds quite fine to my crude and uncritical ears.

Paula

No comments: