Sunday, April 1, 2012

Piano has a new home


New Brighton, MN

Hello,

Yesterday Brian successfully collected the piano and me. Leroy had gathered two more helpers to get it loaded in the Honda Pilot. I was impressed at how quickly it was accomplished. Brian did tell me that the old guys all huffed a little in order to get it up there. Brian is younger by far than the other three. The piano was lying on its back so it traveled with little fuss.

We got to Brian’s house in time for him to call a friend to come assist getting it into the house. He was sure that one person was all that was needed. Brian has a special belt/strap that can be used to move heavy objects up to one thousand pounds. So he and this guy carried that piano, on end, up to the house, up the stairs, and into the living room with out dropping it, breaking their backs or even complaining too much.

I would have thought the vehicle could have been driven across the lawn, but no they carried it the extra 25-40 feet. The stairs inside were the biggest obstacle. Brian was on the down end possibly because he is the larger of the two men. The guy on top had the unexpected problem of having difficulty of having little clearance to pull his feet from under the piano so he could move up to the next step. It was scary to watch.

In spite of my anxiety it all went well. It fit in the Pilot much better than I would have thought. But I had not thought of having it on its back. It was much more stable as well as a better fit.

These kids will have some piano lessons. It will be interesting to find if they like it or not. Now all of my children have a piano in their home, but only Stephen in DC is really able to play the piano well.

Sarah and her girls come tomorrow. It will be great to see them again.

After this week I will go back to Cedar Rapids to get back to figuring out where to put more items in our home. And I will start work at the Ely Library on Monday. Wish me luck because it has been six years since I have worked on a regular basis. Certainly it will be an adjustment.

Paula

No comments: