Tuesday, April 24, 2012

China


Hello,

Some things are not as simple as they would appear at first thought. China, how hard can that be to incorporate into daily life? I found four boxes marked Spoerl China in the attic. Spoerl is my maiden name. It was indeed fun to open the boxes and find all pieces in perfect shape.

The tricky part was finding a place in the kitchen where it would be easily accessible for that planned daily use. This kitchen has only three feet and five inches of counter top by the sink with an additional nine inches between the stove and refrigerator. There are two drawers under the counter by the sink and two doors under that. Above are two more doors with two small cabinets next to that. Above the stove are three doors that are best reached by someone who might be 6 feet? I have included some pictures so you can see at this site https://picasaweb.google.com/111129304688608118094/KitchenInCR?authkey=Gv1sRgCKrMgqmX6PqhSw# just how much space we have. The white door goes into a closet that is large, but only has two shelves up high.

I found a place for our smaller set of eight that had been Leroy’s mother’s dishes.  We have enjoyed using them because they do not take so much space and fit us just fine. Then I washed the new set and left them to air dry while I went to work. After coming home, I managed to get most of them in the cupboard with just the meat platter and some other larger items on top of the refrigerator. I do not want to leave them there, but have not yet figured out what will happen.

We had soup last night. The most noticeable thing is that the bowls become quite hot when put in the microwave. I almost burned myself. Then the size of the bowls that we might use for cereal is so small that this morning we had to have two helpings. We like to put granola, fruit, and milk on cereal. It is a bit tricky to get it in and not on the table. Soup bowls are the flat spread out kind. It worked just fine for my salad at noon. We believe that sizes were smaller in the days of smaller appetites.

Leroy is grumbling a bit about the pieces and I find I am not as happy and satisfied as I had expected to be. Who knew?

Paula

No comments: