Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Our Drive South

Hello,

Easter Sunday we set out on an easy journey home. We left about noon assuming that we would be the only people on the road. Luckily we had not gotten on the Interstate before Brian called to tell us that I had inadvertently left my house keys. I was driving because Leroy had planned to take a nap in the early afternoon. I made a u-turn wondering if it was legal, but taking the chance. On a street on the way back I was in the left lane when a car pulled onto the road. The next thing this car was almost stopped in front of me. The speed limit was 40 mph so I did not have much trouble slowing to 10 mph. The street narrowed a lane so I could not get around this woman who, while still moving at a slow meandering speed, proceeded to take a scarf from her neck and fluff her hair. She then speeded up but not too much. At the stop sign I went to the left and she went straight, but Leroy who was watching her said, “Even though there are so many cars here, she did not stop. She has lots of gray hair.” Is she one of those elderly who should be taking a taxi?

Brian met Leroy at the door with the keys and we were on our way once again.

Did we have the road to ourselves? Never! In fact all I could say was, “What are all these people doing out here? Didn’t they know the Bradways were on the way home?” Both directions of the interstate had fast moving cars packed in. Surely it was not as bad as when we have been driving at rush hour, but certainly enough to populate a small city with a ten minute traffic count.

Happily, we met no other drivers who felt that the road was just for them and their hair. We even had time to stop at the store for milk. I felt a bit guilty about that as there were a number of people there. I still have the idea that workers should be able to have holidays at home, but it does not help when I reinforce the opposite idea.

Paula

No comments: