Tuesday, April 10, 2012

One Day on the Job

Cedar Rapids, IA

Hello,

Yesterday was my first day at work. It went fast. I will work again tomorrow and Thursday. It is nice to only go in three days a week, especially this first week. I still need to do some things at home such as go through more boxes and figure out a home for items.

Today, however, my big jobs were making bread, making granola, and washing two loads of laundry. Such satisfying home jobs! Course I also made meals and washed dishes, but I hardly count those things as work just regular tasks. It was so refreshing to hang out all of the clothes and have line space left over. The scent of the clothes was uplifting as they waited to be folded and put away. It brings back memories of childhood when a motorized dryer was never an option.

There is another new person at the Ely library so we both got a little tour of the town. I probably did not really need it, but it good to meet the city clerk as well as the maintenance people.

At first I will probably just work 20 hours per week, but with other staff transitions there might be more hours to fill. At least that will not be in the first two weeks giving me time to make an easy adjustment to employment. Even though this is different library software, it does not seem unfamiliar. The collection is mostly for recreational reading rather than serious study. That might make it easier to get to know that collection so I can give some reader’s advice. Mostly I will be working at the desk cataloging, processing inter library loan, and maintaining the web site. Sometimes I will be responsible for checking books in and out. I believe I will like the mix of duties as I like to spend some time with people and some with things.

Paula


No comments: