Sunday, February 19, 2012

Church

Ely, IA

Hello,

Last Sunday Leroy went to the first service at the church where he was pastor for 15-16 years. This Sunday we went to the second service because my hair was still wet and I did not want to walk in the cool air with wetness. Once again we can walk to church.

It was wonderful to see some of the people that I had not seen in years. In many ways it feels like coming home. I even think of that as I drive down the road. There has been quite a lot of development in the intervening years, but it still feels familiar, restful, and comfortable to my eyes.

We had thought we should not go to the church here, at least not on a regular basis because there is an unwritten rule that former pastors should not interfere with the new pastor’s situation. Because we will only be here in town another month and gone one of those Sundays we will simply go here and attend alternating services so we will not look so familiar. The many new people in the church will not recognize us so that makes it not so much of a problem.

Leroy and I are both astonished that Lent starts this week. That truly points out the fact that he is not in the parish where he had to be on top of all such Christian holidays.

I am making fastnachts/donuts for the family here. They were talking about and remembering them last week so I just plunged ahead and the batch is rising for the morning cooking and consumption. The traditional day is to have them on Shrove Tuesday, but it will not work so we are just moving it ahead.

It will be a bit lumpy with potatoes because I had thought they were more thoroughly mashed than they were. I noticed pieces as I was kneading. Oh well, it will not hurt us just be a lump of potato. Cooking and baking is always a mystery and adventure with me.

Paula

No comments: