Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Care Providers

Ely, IA

Hello,

Last week I got the most important job done, I got a haircut. Personally I find it hard to know where to go. There are two establishments on the main drag in Ely. I gathered up my courage and went into one of them. The girl, at least she looked like a girl to me, was shampooing another woman’s hair.

I asked about her price followed by, “How comfortable are you with curly hair?”

Those of us with curly hair know there seems to be a big margin for error as some are surprised that curly hair shortens in certain places after it is dry. Would anyone admit that they do not do a good job with curly? Or do not like to cut curly?

She assured me that she did do well with curly hair. However, when I asked for an appointment she was not able to take me until 5:00pm the next day. I said, “I would think about it.” As usual I wanted a haircut right away since it was an annoyance. How hair can be ok one day and impossible the next is beyond me, but I know it happens.

I then went to the other place. She was not busy. So I asked her the price and curly question. She was $2 cheaper than the other person. As to the curly issue, she said, “I do know how to cut curly hair. I have curly hair.”

That settled it for me. I thought she did do a very good job. Best haircut I have had in some time. It was surprising to learn that she was a classmate of Miriam’s.

I am glad that task is done. After we are in Cedar Rapids, unless I have a job here, I will probably not drive down for a haircut even though it is only about 10-15 miles.
As to the job, I have heard nothing since I turned in my application. The director was out of town last week, but I thought this would be the week I would hear something about it. I have not given up yet, but if it is not to be, it is not to be.

Paula

No comments: