Friday, February 17, 2012

Leasing an Apartment

Ely, Iowa

Hello,

Yesterday the man who wants to rent the property called us offering to lower the rent as well as our share of the utilities and they would give us a six month lease. Leroy’s job only lasts for 1.5 years.  I had asked about a garden. They do not have one, but they mentioned that the side of the house might work, but really the front lawn was the best for the sun. The phone message stated that in addition, I could make a garden anywhere I wanted. Wow! Now I will have to put out some plants out for sure.

We called them back and told them we were ready to sign. Tomorrow morning we will get that done. They would like a notice of 45 days before we leave, but we can handle that or so we think at this point. We will have to stay in our current home (We find we quickly use the word home for anywhere we are staying more than a week.) until the middle of March. The other people will now move out on the 11th of March, but we do not believe that we can move in on the same day so will wait for the following weekend.

If you know of anyone who wants a piano in this area, let me know. I have asked Brian if they would like it so he would get first chance at it. He did not sound so very excited; consequently, I am putting out other feelers so this piano can find a good home. We would be willing to leave it in Burlington or move it to CR and if needed keep it in the garage a few days so someone else could pick it up. It is the piano that my parents got when I was in first grade so you can figure out the approximate age. It is a spinet in good condition, not excellent condition.

It has been quite fine to stay in this place, but Leroy and I are both ready to move immediately or sooner. We are used to and like living more independently. Homelessness is not a desired way to be even if we have been living in warm and welcoming homes all of this time. We have been living this life style since the middle of September. That is long enough. I know that we are not the only people doing this. One of the people who taught a class at the gym told me that she had gotten divorced and was now, along with her two children, sharing one bedroom at her parent’s house. From personality studies, I know that I do not easily emphasize with people who are in a situation I have not experienced. Perhaps this is all part of my education for being compassionate.

Paula

No comments: