Saturday, May 7, 2011

What To Report?

Hello,

What is there to tell about such an ordinary day even if it is beautiful? We are happy to see the sun and feel the warmth.

I heard quite a lot of motor noise on the street. When I looked I saw several motorcycles. Almost right away I started counting and got to 45 of these machines in various styles. What a big group that was! Explains why I heard them.

Son-in-law, Stephen sent us some poppy seed paste that he found in a European specialty store in DC. I had lost the recipe that was suggested so today I headed off into experimental land. First it seemed like a good idea to make a pie crust and then put the filling on top. Here I must say that the Slovaks often used poppy seed and poppy seed paste in their baked items. However, they do not make pie of any kind that I know about and certainly not as I did. They might combine poppy seed and sweet cherries.

On opening the filling, I realized that it was quite a small amount compared to a pie pan. There are still cranberries frozen in my freezer. A partial bag was there, but it still all seemed too little so I added some frozen mixed berries with a random small scoop of sugar and shakes of cinnamon added for interest. All of this was stirred in a bowl.

Then I made half a recipe of oil pie crust using whole wheat flour, however when I added the cold water I forgot to stop at half and added a tablespoon more. What to do, but add more flour. Using about ¾ of the dough I covered the bottom of the pan, added the filling, and ended with the rest of the dough almost hiding the poppy seed, cranberry, wild berry mixture.

I checked another pie recipe to determine approximate temperature and length of baking time. As it was in the oven I washed dishes. Oh no the oven turned off! But before I could think about it too much it came back on. Because the power had been off, I lost the time on the timer. What to do but more guessing, checking, adding time, and finally declaring it done.

Leroy had a piece with plain non fat yogurt and declared it wonderful. Thank you Stephen!

Baking for me is an adventure, and eating for Leroy is an act of faith. What a guy!

Paula

No comments: