Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Book Club

Hello,

The book club met last night to discuss Bald in the Land of Big Hair by Joni Rodgers. One sad thing is that one person has decided to drop out since they have not gotten the last three books read. I am sorry as they contributed to the conversation, but I understand the guilt of not getting them read. I am fortunate that I am blessed with time to do this. I am also blessed with having a good group of people join me.

Our discussion was wide and varied. One of our members is 89 and in the early stages of dementia. She contributes amazingly good observations that I would not have thought of. People talk about her powerful intellect. The author of this book talks quite openly about her sex life. I was a bit concerned that this older woman might be shocked by it. Instead she talked about how great she thought it was. I guess I had been stuck with the idea that sex talk does not easily cross generations, but instead it depends on who is in the generation.

We will next read Listen by Rene Gutteridge. The person who organized this one had already read it and liked it so well that she thought we should all read it. Now if you live in Iowa you will probably not be able to get it from your library as we are reading books from all over the state. Mine is from Carroll. It is neat to be able to read a book from a town that I have visited.

People are still thanking me for starting this group. Here I am so grateful that they have joined me. What a wonderful win, win situation. I should look for more of those possibilities in my life.

Paula

No comments: